Search This Blog

23 January 2012

Winter Fruit Pie

Today, in honor of National Pie Day, I made this winter fruit pie, based on this recipe at epicurious. I didn't make the streusel topping because I didn't have any walnuts. I used my trusty pie crust recipe and made a lattice top, and used honey and a little brown sugar for sweetener, and cinnamon and cardamom for spices, and instant tapioca as the thickener. I think it turned out pretty well, not too sweet, not soggy, but some juiciness. I'm glad I freeze cranberries when they're available, because I like them for other things besides sauce at Thanksgiving. The figs were a little weird, very seedy and crunchy, I would leave them out next time.

Winter Fruits Pie

Happy National Pie Day!

3 comments:

  1. Visiting your blog is a painful experience for me. It makes my stomach growl and my mouth water and that pie looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I didn't know about National Pie Day. I'm putting it on the calendar for next year.

    We're here--in the far east--so we'll have to get together and eat pie and play Catan in the near future! You won't recognize Isaac.

    ReplyDelete