Search This Blog

24 March 2014

Eggy Cheesy Toast

My new favorite breakfast, like fried eggs already assembled with bread and cheese.



Eggy Cheesy Toast
1 slice sturdy bread (I used rosemary bread from our local bakery brushed with a little olive oil, fluffy white bread probably won't work)
1 egg
2 slices of cheese, enough to cover your piece of bread
(I liked mozzarella the best, but cheddar was good too)

Preheat the broiler.

Place the bread on an oiled pan (I use my cast-iron pan) break the egg on top, put the cheese on top of the egg, put the pan in the oven, not to close to the broiler flame (I put the rack on the 2nd shelf, about 7" away from the flame), let it cook for a few minutes. The cheese will get nice and bubbly and toasty, and you can cake it out when the egg is at your desired level of cooked-ness, you can let the yolk get firm or take it out when it's still runny. Let it cool off a little before you bite into it, and enjoy.


I'm thinking next time I'll put some caramelized onions between the bread and the egg, that would be good.

2 comments:

  1. Mm, that looks good! Caramelized onions in there sounds good, too.

    ReplyDelete