Search This Blog

18 April 2010

Mango Sticky Rice

This is a miraculous treat. It's easy to prepare and so delicious. If you have ever had it in a Thai restaurant, my version might not seem as good, but it's a good start. Last night I ate the stuff with mango too fast, so I took a picture today with oranges, which was also delicious. The sticky rice part of the recipe is one that I've adapted from Donna Hay's "Modern Classics 2."
The first time I made the sticky rice I didn't realize how much the coconut milk separates. I opened the can and scooped out some of the solidified fat on top, and much later discovered all the liquid underneath. It was a very rich dessert indeed.



Mango Sticky Rice
1 c. white rice (I used arborio rice once for extra creaminess, and the one pictured above was long grain white basmati rice, either way is delicious)
2 c. cold water
1 c. coconut milk, about 1/2 of a can; shake the can well, or warm it to melt the fat into the liquid
1/4-1/2 c. sugar (I like an evaporated cane juice sugar for this)
2 or more mangos, peeled and chopped

Cook rice in water until tunnels form, keep the pan tightly covered. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Stir in enough sugar to suit your taste and coconut milk, stir in coconut milk 1/2 cup at a time, let the first bit soak in. Serve on your favorite dessert plates with chopped mangoes on top. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment