Search This Blog

14 April 2011

Gnarly Sourdough




I made this sourdough bread last night as part of an attempt to develop a very basic, easy sourdough loaf that I can throw together any time. It tastes pretty darn good, but it sure is ugly. First of all, I had the hardest time getting it to rise without letting the outside of the dough get dry and crusty, so when I formed the loaf, a lot of crusty dry dough got incorporated inside, so it has some weird bubbles and folds. But the weirdest thing is that the crust did not turn brown in the oven. The outside of the bread is exactly the color shown in the picture, it isn't just some weird lighting problem. Does anyone out there have any idea why a loaf of bread does not turn brown when baking? It has honey and whole wheat flour in it, so it should definitely have browned a little bit more than it did. 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I say, if it tastes good, don't worry about the looks! It's kind of unique. In fact, I could imagine eating a piece of it right now with a some butter smeared on it and a nice bowl of soup on the side. Mm-mm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I mean, ugly, but delicious! Where is the recipe? I am into making bread lately and would love to try this. Btw, I just bought some quinoa and plan to try something with it soon. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll work on the recipe, see if I can get it to work better, then I'll put it up :)

    ReplyDelete