Search This Blog

02 August 2011

The New Digs

We moved to our new place near Washington D.C. a little over a month ago. Things are good here and I really like the city. Our new apartment is fairly large, there is room for a desk in the living room as well as other furniture, so I've put my sewing machine on the desk instead of the kitchen table and now there is room for cooking in the kitchen. The kitchen is pretty big, but doesn't have a lot of storage or counter space, so we've acquired some shelves that give us more of both. It does have a dishwasher, which feels like a miracle. We still need some dining chairs, but other than that, we're pretty settled in. However, right now it's too hot to cook, so I feel mostly uninspired and don't have a lot to write about.

There interesting things that do make me want to cook, for example, simplyrecipes.com always has something awesome going on. The other day I made ginger and cinnamon cookies (I love those ginger cookies so much!) and froze most of the dough so I don't eat them all at once. Also, a couple of weeks ago I tried out the cucumber agua fresca which was quite refreshing and I really need to make it again. I would like to make this peach and blueberry cake, but the thought of the oven being on for that long is deterring me. And I have my new library card, so if I find any interesting cookbooks at the library, I'd like to review them here too.

I'm trying to find some good ethnic markets/cheap food and a stellar bakery. We've gone to a good Ethiopian restaurant, an excellent falafel house and a not so great Vietnamese place. Yesterday we found a Japanese market that seemed really good and fresh, and even sells miso paste! So I need to find more markets specializing in interesting international/ethic foods. So far, we have not encountered any bakeries that even compare with Pavel's. I probably just need to get out more, because in all honesty, I haven't been looking that hard. Older Brother told me about this food blog that will be helpful once I start reading it. All in all, it has been a good move and if you want to come visit, you would be welcome here!

my new kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment